If this is your first time here, why not consider subscribing to my RSS feed?

Comments

7 Responses to “Why Windows 7 Will Kill The Netbook Market”

1. Tom Morris on February 8th, 2009 12:30

No, what’ll happen is that either Microsoft will have to give the netbook companies a deal as good as the current deal on XP licensing, or the netbook manufactuerers will pass on the cost to the consumer, and suggest to them “Well, you could pay $400 for a Windows one or $300 for a Linux one.”

Of course, what they need to do is make the Linux they install on the netbooks be something other than huge pile of turd, and then they won’t get returned so often. The Linux that comes on the AspireOne is a horrific tragic mess compared to Ubuntu or Debian.

2. Ian Nock on February 8th, 2009 12:32

Good post, but might it also be the death of Microsoft as people understand the over valuation of the OS compared to actual hardware.

3. Ewan Spence on February 8th, 2009 12:37

Tom, certainly that’s one scenario (you’d think I was being deliberatly provocative to get comments), and my money is on microsoft offering the Win7 Starter at the XP levels, and the Win7 version that works as an increased cost. The current price difference still has people tending to Windows.

The best thing would be for Ubuntu Netbook Remix, polished, to be available rather than the proliferation of My First Fisher Price OS Linux builds.

4. jennifr on February 8th, 2009 13:15

I think consumer acceptance is at a point where people are so used to netbooks being around that if they are ridiculously expensive with Windows 7, there will be manufacturers that offer a competitive alternative to milk that cash cow.

I would agree with you Ewan, I think MS will rely heavily on people upgrading to a more functional version but in order to keep initial cost down, they will sell Windows 7 Starter for a relatively low license fee.

One thing I wouldn’t underestimate are the cloud OS out there - gOS Cloud, Jolicloud and the like. From the screens I have seen of Jolicloud, I so want that on my netbook, right now.

5. Commonly Sensible on February 8th, 2009 16:14

The reason the linux netbooks are not as popular is the expectation that you get a full laptop in a smaller box. I have a first generation eeepc which I use for checking my email and skype. Anything more and I boot up my proper laptop. For the tasks that I use it for the linux install works fine, if I wanted to do more with it then I would probably put XP on it but the performance of these devices is more suited to linux than windows.

6. Ben Metcalfe on February 8th, 2009 20:21

“Windows 7 is due soon, and the cost of that could be on the order of $100 per licence. On top of a $300 machine. Which (a) drives it dangerously close to the laptop market (where margins are higher)”

True, but then the price of the laptops will also go up a wee bit too because they too will be needing a more expensive Win 7 license.

It’s a great time for Apple to bring out a $600 Apple Netbook, which all of the Apple fan boys will buy anyway and with the same commodity Intel parts Apple can make a great mark-up.

7. mike on February 9th, 2009 8:34

The hardware requirements for Windows7 will help in ensuring that it can’t succeeds in this market for a couple of years.

This will give the Linux guys some time to catch-up in terms of usability, also the smart-phone market may start to push into it as well.

Also, for the netbook space, the ract you are limited to three concurrent apps might not be such a limiting factor. Basic apps; web-Browser, IM client, and email, and email can be swapped out for Skype if needed.